Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: It's another Pink Saturday!

April 25, 2009

It's another Pink Saturday!


It's been a very busy week for me but I could not miss a Pink Saturday. As always Pink Saturday is hosted by Miss Beverly of How Sweet the Sound. We've had some gorgeous weather this week, 88 degrees on Friday, and it really put me in the mood for summer. I do hope we have a spring and don't go right into summer which means a horrible dry drought that will be unbearable for my plants and ME!



But since I was in a summer mood I was thinking about light, fun meals and what could be better then Hot Dogs. I'm sure most of you have heard about Pinks, the famous Hot Dog Stand in Hollywood, CA. Pinks, now a CA landmark, was founded by Paul and Betty Pink in 1939 and was originally located on the corner of La Brea and Melrose exactly where it still exists today! Any business that has been in continuous operation for 70 years and in the exact same location deserves every bit of congratulations and praise.










Pinks Chili Dog (left) and Hot Dog (right)




But here in Chicago we have our own Hot Dogs. The essentials are steamed or boiled 100% Beef Hot Dog, Poppy Seed Bun, Yellow Mustard, White Onion, Relish, Sports Pepper, Celery Salt and Tomato and NEVER, not ever Ketchup and it's always served with a Dill Pickle Spear. But there are many other condiments offered, Cucumber, Sweet Red Onion, Green Pepper and the list goes on and on. We have Hot Dog Stands on ever corner in Chicago and of course Mr. Tastebuds loads up his Dog with "everything" and you can't even see the bun! I honestly don't know how he eats it but he seems to manage quite well.


I've got to throw my own Hot Dog into this competition. It's simple and much like the Chicago Hot Dog. A boiled or steamed 100% Beef Kosher Hot Dog, Yellow Mustard, Sweet Red Onion, Sweet Relish on a Homemade Bun sprinkled with Smoked Sesame Seeds. It is also served with Homemade Potato Chips and a Dill Pickle Spear.



Hotdog1




If you would like the recipe for the Hot Dog Buns please click here and the Homemade Potato Chip recipe is here.


Next is my Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream which is a favorite summer time treat and out of this world delicious and look at this gorgeous pink color! I noticed CA Strawberries in the markets this week. Large, gorgeous berries and quite a reasonable price too. If you happened to buy some strawberries and you're not sure what to make, try this ice cream. I promise you will not be disappointed. Please click here for the recipe and copy and paste.



StberryBalsamic1





Thank you so much for visiting my blog for Pink Saturday and don't forget to visit Miss Beverly of How Sweet the Sound and see what the other Pinksters are up to!

And don't forget our Pink Saturday motto:


Get Pink !!!

It's not just a color, it's an attitude.





All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Elyse said...

Michelle, another great pink roundup!! I love hotdogs, and I love strawberry ice cream. You couldn't have picked two better pink foods. Delicious!!

April 25, 2009 at 1:31 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I've seen stories about "Pinks" on the Food Network - - - but have never been there, have you???

Homemade potato chips - - - you go girl!!!!

April 25, 2009 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger ♥Mimi♥ said...

Happy Pink Saturday. Your blog is just such a delight to visit each week. Of course, all of the pink goodies always warm my ♥.

Wishing you, and all those close to your ♥, a purr-fect weekend filled with joy, peace and gracious living.

April 25, 2009 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger Char said...

It's not even 8 am and my mouth is watering. I have never been a breakfast person, so I would have no trouble eating your hotdog right now. Looks great, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

April 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Lori Lynn said...

*´¨)
¸.*´¸.**´¨) ¸.**´¨)
(¸.*´ (¸.*´* HAPPY PINK SATURDAY *

April 25, 2009 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I love new recipes. Just say No Reservations show on Chicago hot dogs! Yum. Will definitely add both recipes to my file. Happy Pink Saturday

April 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Catharina Maria said...

Oh your pink ice cream , yummy
love rini The Netherlands

April 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger The Wrought Iron Gate said...

Oh my goodness, hot dogs and strawberry ice cream.....it just doesn't get any better than this. I agree, no ketchup on my dog, please, but do pass the sweet relish. I'm such a fan of balsamic vinegar. It tends to give great depth to fruit dishes.Just can't wait to try the ice cream. Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,
Kay

April 25, 2009 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

I have got to make this ice cream, it looks and sounds delicous. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comments.
Hugs and blessings to you, have a great Saturday !

April 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Sit-N-Chat said...

Oh those hot dogs look good.... And I want to try that ice cream. Soon. I enjoy your blog.

I have not been to Pinks but liked heaing about them. They are cute.

Have a blessed weekend.

Jennifer

April 25, 2009 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Oh you had to go and show me all this delcious food while I was hungry and have no chance of getting one of those yummy hot dogs since I live two states away!!!

Enjoy your weekend and Happy Pink Saturday!

April 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger The Raggedy Girl said...

I have never heard of the Pinks! What a wonderful post.

Thank you for dropping by...

Have a Happy Pink Saturday
from The Raggedy Girl--Roberta Anne

April 25, 2009 at 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...I love hot dogs and I am familiar with the Chicago hot dogs even though we lived in northwest Indiana an hour from downtown Chicago. Love,love,love them. Never heard of Pinks before but by the looks of the photo there is a line which usually means the "dogs" are good.

Happy Pink Saturday.

Kris

April 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Tracy M. said...

The ice cream looks absolutely Yummy!
Happy Pink Saturday!

April 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Yum!!! Kosher hotdogs are my favorite too. The strawberry ice cream looks very tempting.

Happy Pink Saturday!

April 25, 2009 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Suzie Button said...

Ok, Michelle, now I'm STARVING after reading your Pink Saturday post, I want ice cream, I want ice cream!! Happy PS! Suzie

April 25, 2009 at 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Beverly said...

Yum! I love hotdogs, and we have our own special southern-style, too.

And, ice cream must be divine. I love strawberries with a balsamic reduction.

Happy Pink Saturday, Michelle.

April 25, 2009 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger HiHo said...

the perfect meal!!!happy pink, heidi

April 25, 2009 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Oh that ice cream looks absolutely delicious!!!! Happy Pink Saturday!

April 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Well, now you went and made me hungry!!! That strawbery ice cream looks delicious.

Happy Pink Saturday!

Blessings,
Christine

April 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger Gossamer Creations said...

You made me hungry for hot dogs. I keep saying I am going there to get a hot dog but when the weekend comes I am too busy......one day.
Happy Pink Saturday,
~Sue~

April 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a great post! I hadn't heard of Pinks before...thanks! Happy Pink saturday!

Linda

April 26, 2009 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger Abby Lanes said...

I used to live right around the corner from PInks. I have photos from during the Los Angeles riots of firemen and policemen guarding "Pinks" with guns during the riots. I'll scan them one day and post them. This was a great entry.
~Abby

April 26, 2009 at 12:45 AM  
Blogger Light and Voices said...

~Happy Pink Saturday~
Chicago hotdogs are the best! I can remember having one for the first time from a vendor down at Lake Michigan. Sorry, I am unable to remember which beach. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I took the Pink sidewalk shot across from the Greek Church and the Farm in Glenview. I was surprised to see it there.
Joyce

April 26, 2009 at 1:09 AM  
Blogger Bumble Bee Cottage said...

I love American hotdogs - so fabulously different from one end of your country to the other. I was amazed the first time we ate a sandwich in the US and it was served with a chips (crisps) and a dill pickle- I suppose that's what is so great about travelling; everything is new and exciting! Have a wonderful weekend :)

April 26, 2009 at 2:07 AM  
Anonymous Shirley said...

Now I'm really hungry for hot dogs and ice cream!

April 26, 2009 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Susan from The T-Cozy said...

Yummy pink! Thanks for visiting The T-Cozy yesterday.

April 26, 2009 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger suesueb said...

wow! i don't even like hot dogs but i'd try one of yours for sure!! going back to save a couple of those recipes. it's strawberry season here in south louisiana and that ice cream sounds delicious!!! happy pink week!

April 26, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Anonymous jeanne said...

Michelle, Hot dogs and strawberry ice cream. Yum!!!

Hugs...Jeanne

April 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM  
Blogger Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

What a fun hot dog stand! I'd never heard of PINK'S! Now I'm hungry.....

Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

April 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger ~Melinda said...

LOVE Chicago dogs! Shhh, don't tell anyone here in my home state of NC, though! ;)

May 16, 2009 at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home