Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: TFF -- Red Onions Roasted With Balsamic and Honey

April 24, 2009

TFF -- Red Onions Roasted With Balsamic and Honey


The week for Tyler Florence Fridays I made Red Onions Roasted With Balsamic and Honey. I was not sure about this recipe. Although I love Red Onion and I like roasted onions I just was not sure about a large red onion with Balsamic Vinegar and Honey.

But in this case the Roasted Red Onion was fantastic...FAN-TASTIC. And even Mr. Tastebud's loved it! And the roasted onion is a perfect side dish. First of all the color is gorgeous and would add drama to any plate. Super easy, all you have to do is peel the onion and cut a slice off the bottom so it will sit evenly in a shallow baking dish. Then drizzle with honey, balsamic vinegar, salt/pepper, place a pat of butter on the top, sprinkle with Thyme and pop it in the oven for about 40 minutes. Deciding on individual portions is no problem, 1 medium large onion per person is plenty. That's it, super simple, gorgeous and delicious!!! And if you're cooking for one, you can still make an excellent side dish and not have leftovers to bother with.

I did follow the recipe except I did not cut the onion in 2 as Tyler suggests. I roasted it whole in a small roasting pan. And the Onion did the cutest thing, the center popped up just like one of those pop-up turkey timers when it was done. So the onion has it's own internal timer! How cool is that? It really is the perfect side dish! We really enjoyed the Roasted Red Onion and I will definitely be making this recipe again.






Red Onions Roasted With Balsamic and Honey
Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence

3 red onions, peeled, halved lengthwise
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup honey
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/4 bunch fresh thyme

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Put the onions on a sheet pan, cut side up, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and honey. Season with salt and pepper then top each with a pat of butter and fresh thyme. Bake for 40 minutes, until the onions are soft and caramelised around the edges.












All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Elyse said...

Mmm, these onions look fantastic. What an interesting idea--the balsamic and the honey. I can't wait to try them out. I love a nice red onion, but I never do much with them. Looks like it's time to branch out!

April 24, 2009 at 12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love the flavor of roasted onions, and this would go perfectly in the onion to roast underneath some chicken!

April 24, 2009 at 1:48 AM  
Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

It certainly is beautiful! I have never had roasted onion. Funny thing - - - I'd never even heard of them until this week when I spied a recipe for them in a cookbook someone sent me, and now here you are posting about them replete with PICTURES. What more could a girl ask???

April 24, 2009 at 4:02 AM  
Blogger NKP said...

What a great idea to roast the onions with balsamic! Sounds wonderful!

April 24, 2009 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger From the Old InkWell said...

Sounds and looks delicious! I'm going to try it! Thanks!

Marsha

April 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Kim - Easy French Food said...

Wow - that looks fabulous and easy - two of my favorite adjectives. I've got to try it. Thanks so much for such a great recipe.

April 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I do something similar with the grill but I use brown sugar instead of honey and wrap it in foil. Definitely going to have to give this a shot because simple side dishes are a requirement for me.

April 24, 2009 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

I love how great the whole onion looks. I am trying this one for sure!

April 24, 2009 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

That is A-dorable. The balsamic and honey sound like they would totally complement the caramelizing of the roasted onion. Thanks for sharing!

April 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger natalia said...

Ciao Michelle ! What a beauty ! this recipe is certainly one keeper ! I'll make it for sunday lunch omorrow !Thank you !

April 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM  
Anonymous kelly said...

whoa this looks good.

April 26, 2009 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

came over from TFF- this looks great! I can't wait to try it!

April 27, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home