Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Whisk Wednesday -- Bouchées aux Crevettes and some Poker Chips

April 21, 2009

Whisk Wednesday -- Bouchées aux Crevettes and some Poker Chips


This week for Whisk Wednesdays I made Bouchées aux Crevettes or Puff Pastry Shells Filled with Shrimp and Mushrooms. Really Puff Pastry is so easy to make and it is fun..fun..fun!!! But you can buy a package of Puff Pastry and find almost the same results and your food automatically takes on an air of "Gourmet" with a capital "G"!!

Although this recipe was easy and fun to make, I really did not care for this dish. Mr. Tastebud's had some late client meetings tonight but it was no problem reheating the shrimp and filling the pastry shells for him but he too did not really care for it.



DSCF6160-1




I followed the recipe except I did add some green onion. It's difficult for me to make seafood without green onion and it added a much needed flavor and color to the over all dish. I cut out some small disks from the left over puff pastry. I called them poker chips and they worked out well to dip into the extra shrimp and mushroom sauce. If you're confused so was my husband! ;)



poker3





Bouchées aux Crevettes
Recipe adapted from Le Cordon Bleu at Home


For the Puff Pastry:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1½ cups cake flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/3 to 1 ½ cups cold water
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
28 ounces unsalted butter
1 egg, slightly beaten, for glazing

For the Shrimp and Mushroom Sauce:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1¾ cups cold milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream (I would use sour cream instead.)
5 ounces mushrooms, trimmed, rinsed, dried, and chopped fine
1¾ pounds small cooked shrimp
3 tablespoons Cognac
Pinch of paprika

Chervil or parsley for garnish

Unsalted butter, softened, for baking sheet




All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Deborah Smith said...

Gorgeous. What an elegant dish. Our men are lucky aren't they. I made ground lamb with feta in phyllo dough the other night. Another confused man, but he loved it.

April 21, 2009 at 8:47 PM  
Anonymous katrina said...

That sounds delicious! Do you really find a difference using cake flour? I often substitute all-purpose and have no idea if there really is a difference.

April 21, 2009 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Elyse said...

I'm sorry that this recipe didn't do it for you. It certainly looks super pretty. And you're right: using puff pastry makes everything totally chic and elegant!!

April 21, 2009 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Katrina,

I really don't see a difference in using cake flour. I've tried several different brands of Cake Flour too. I usually always sift my flour any way and I use Ceresota All Purpose Flour by the 25 lb bag.

April 21, 2009 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I don't know if I would like it either but it sure is pretty. Very impressive presentation!

April 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I have tried to make puff pastry once and it caused me to drink heavily that night. The constant keeping it cold, etc. etc. etc. So props to you for making your own!

What did you not like about the dish?

April 22, 2009 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Jeff, Whisk Wednesday is sort of like a cooking lesson and I try to stay as close to the recipe in Le Cordon Bleu.

IMO this dish needed some garlic and basil. The green onion I added did help a great deal but it needed more seasoning.

April 22, 2009 at 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful presentation! makes me hungry just looking at it!

April 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Kayte said...

The plate, the linens, the food...OH MY! Absolutely gorgeous and elegant! And, look at your perfect puff pastry. I rolled mine way too thin...I need to get better at this. I love working with that dough, however. Unlike you, I think there is a BIG difference in taste between the one I make and the one I buy frozen...maybe it is because I know all the work that went into mine! LOL. You did a really lovely job on this recipe.

April 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

Too bad you didn't like them but good thing you didn't make homemade puff pastry and go to all that extra work and not like them after all that!

April 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home