Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: TFF and Foodie Friday with Pudding in between!

April 16, 2009

TFF and Foodie Friday with Pudding in between!


Today is a busy day so I'm in double time and I have to double up on my posts too. This post is not only my submission for Tyler Florence Fridays but it's my first submission to Foodie Friday hosted by Designs by Gollum. Whew...that was a mouthful!

Since I made Mini Banana Cream Pies for Tuesdays with Dorie I did have some of the delicious cinnamon flavored custard left over. The custard was so good and I wanted to incorporate it in another dessert somehow. And then I remember Tyler's Chocolate Pudding! Hmmmmm....interesting combo. And who wouldn't want to mix it up with our cutie..er...HUNK..er sweet boy Tyler.

Tyler's Chocolate Pudding and Dorie's Cinnamon Custard were perfect for each other. I had just bought some new dessert dishes too so this was fun dessert to make. And it was so good!!! I will definitely be making both of these puddings again. For sure...for sure!!




tylerpudding1-500





Tyler's Chocolate Pudding
Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence

2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup natural cocoa powder
4 teaspoons cornstarch
3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
3/4 cup whipping cream

Put 1 1/2 cups of the milk, the sugar, and the cocoa in a nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a simmer, over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup of the milk, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, and vanilla in a bowl. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return to the saucepan and cook over medium-high heat whisking constantly, until the pudding comes to a full boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and continue whisking until thick, about 2 or 3 minutes more.

Pour the pudding into 6 small cups. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight until set.

Just before serving pour the cream into a chilled bowl. Whip the cream with a whisk or a hand held mixer, and continue beating until soft peaks form. Take care not to over-beat the cream or it will be grainy. Serve each pudding with a dollop of whipped cream on top.






Banana Cream Pie
Recipe adapted from "Baking From my House to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan

Custard:
2 cups whole milk
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar, pressed through a sieve
1/3 cup cornstarch, sifted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

To Make the Custard: bring milk to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk the yolks together with the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until well blended and thick. Whisking without stopping, drizzle in about 1/4 of the hot milk- this will temper, or warm the yolks so they won't curdle- then, still whisking, add the remainder of the milk in a steady stream. Put the pan over medium heat and, whisking constantly (make sure to get into the edges of the pan), bring the mixture to a boil. Boil, still whisking, for 1 to 2 minutes before removing from heat.

Whisk in the vanilla extract. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in the bits of butter, stirring until they are fully incorporated and the custard is smooth and silky. You can either press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the custard to create an airtight seal and refrigerate the custard until cold or, if you want to cool the custard quickly (as I always do) put the bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice cubes and cold water and stir occasionally until the custard is thoroughly chilled, about 20 minutes. (If it's more convenient, you can refrigerate the custard, tightly covered, for up to 3 days.)





Please visit Tyler Florence Fridays and see what the rest of Tyler's groupies have cooked up this week!!






And please visit Foodie Friday hosted by Designs by Gollum.








All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger The Bloom Girls said...

Yum and Yum! Pudding is one of those things that I love but don't think to make too often! Your presentation is awesome, love the glasses!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Karyn

April 17, 2009 at 1:02 AM  
Blogger NKP said...

Great idea to layer the pudding with the custard - and your new dessert glasses are so cute!
By the way, I am loving your tablescape and coveting your dishes!

April 17, 2009 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

Great presentation and love those cup/glasses.
Cheers, Candy

April 17, 2009 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger Joyce said...

Those little cups to hold the pudding are so cute but the pudding with the custard is the best! Thanks for sharing and I had no idea there was a Ty Friday.
Joyce

April 17, 2009 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger honeysuckle said...

The layered puddings sound so good and look so easy to make. I love the lovely glasses you chose for them too. Thanks for sharing.

April 17, 2009 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

How great they look with the layers in your dessert glasses. Sounds like the perfect custard-pudding paring--delicious!

April 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger The Bloom Girls said...

I LOVE Tyler Florence. I use to love watching is Kitchen 911 show and wished he'd come help me; I have endless kitchen emergencies. I will definitely drop by his Friday blog.

You have a great blog!
Nola
The Bloom Girls
Nashville, TN

April 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

They look delicious, Michelle..
I thought of you this week while my kitchen was being done...one week was long enough for me!

April 17, 2009 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger susan said...

My first visit and a great one. Pudding and cream pies are my favorites and they look so pretty! Great post. Thanks for the recipes!

April 17, 2009 at 8:47 PM  
Blogger Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Layers in a dessert is such a surprise to the senses...you don't know what to expect next. a lovely presentation in the glasses!
I've enjoyed my fist visit to your blog. I'll come by again.
please stop by for a visit, I'd like the company.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

April 17, 2009 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Reeni said...

I love how you layered the two! I bet they were delicious together. I came over to say hi and answer your question about my camera. It is nothing fancy - just a Kodak Easyshare.

April 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Elyse said...

Wow, I love the look of your layered custard and pudding. What a great and grown up way to enjoy a pudding cup!! Everything looks totally delicious! Way to kill 2 birds with one stone :)

April 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Nancy/n.o.e said...

Mmmm, love the combination of puddings. How clever of you! And you must have a steady hand and lots of patience to layer those puddings so perfectly.
Nancy

April 18, 2009 at 8:47 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Pretty!

April 19, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home