Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: I think I nailed it **The perfect Chocolate Cookie

April 26, 2009

I think I nailed it **The perfect Chocolate Cookie


I've been looking for a good chocolate cookie for years now. Finally took matters into my own hands, started experimenting and I think I've nailed it!

My Chocolate Peanut Roll Cookies are soft, chewy, deliciously rich in chocolate with a slight tinge of mint and a grand finale of crushed peanuts. GAWD, they are so good! I was not sure about the mint flavor with peanuts but it is excellent and this is definitely an adult cookie. It's a small recipe because I was experimenting, so I'm not sure if it would work well doubled or not. As written below it will make 10-12 cookies and I ate every single 1 of them.



chocopeanut1 sign




Chocolate Peanut Roll Cookies
Recipe developed by Big-Black-Dog

1 stick of butter, softened
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. flour
1 egg
4 TBL unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp powdered instant espresso powder (see **NOTE)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp peppermint extract (or any kind of mint extract would work)
3/4 c. crushed salted peanuts


With a hand mixer or by hand mix butter and powder sugar until blended. Blend in egg. Add vanilla, mint, salt, espresso powder and chocolate powder. When I add chocolate powder I mix by hand. Add flour and blend only until flour is completely incorporated.

Dough will be very soft. Turn out onto a floured board and knead for a minute.

On a clean board or pastry cloth roll dough into a log about 10" long and 2 1/2" wide. Cookies do not raise during the baking process so the width of your log is the size the cookie will be after baking. Smaller cookies, 2", are better if you're making them for a party or buffet so just make the diameter of the log the size you want for the finished cookie.

Place the dough log on plastic and wrap it up tightly. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes until firm for not hard.

Crush peanuts. I have a nut grinder but you can use a food processor or put the nuts in a zip lock bag and crush with a meat mallet or rolling pin. If you use your food processor, just pulse until the peanuts are crushed.

Remove cookie dough from refrigerator and unwrap but leave the dough log on the plastic wrap. Sprinkle the crushed peanuts on the plastic wrap along one side the dough log. With gentle pressure roll the Dough Log over the peanuts embedding the crushed nuts into the dough, careful to completely cover the log the peanuts. You might have to roll the log over the peanuts several times to completely cover the log.

Rewrap the Dough Log in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until very firm. Remove log, unwrap and with a sharp knife cut 1/2" slices. Even if you make your log a smaller diameter, I would still cut 1/2" slices.

Place sliced cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes or until cookies are barely firm on the bottom. Remove cookies and cool on a rack. Enjoy!

**NOTE: Espresso Powder enhances the chocolate flavor but so does Balsamic Vinegar. Next time I make these I'm going to add a little Balsamic and see what happens. I love to experiment with recipes!



chocopeanut3sign









Courtney of Coco Cooks is hosting the April's 10th Helping of "My Legume Love Affair" and my Chocolate Peanut Roll Cookies are my entry.



All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

Well, they sure do LOOK good. I'm not sure about the peppermint with the peanuts - - - but if you say it's good I'll believe ya!!!

April 26, 2009 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, these look soooooo good. I will really have to try your recipe. I love a good chocolate cookie, and they aren't to be found. Thanks. Hugs, Marty

April 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

I think you might have nailed it too! These look really good.

April 26, 2009 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

These look so amazingly good...I'm waiting till you use the vinegar instead of espresso since I'm not a coffee fan...but wow they look wonderful...thanks for sharing

April 26, 2009 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger NKP said...

They look both elegant and delish. I also love that plate.

April 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous jeanne said...

Michelle, those cookies are to die for. Yum. I want one now. mmmmmm.

Hugs...Jeanne

April 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger glamah16 said...

Now THAT is a cookie and a work of art . Thank you!

April 26, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Deeba PAB said...

OMG...love how adventurous you are. Balsamic is a first I've heard on cookies, & am sure you'll do fabulously well there too!

April 27, 2009 at 1:42 AM  
Anonymous katrina said...

Those are lovely cookies - and I especially like the crushed nuts on the edges. Slightly toasted while baking, must be a dreamy match with the chocolate!

April 27, 2009 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Chocolate mint with peanuts is super intriguing! They look delicious.

April 28, 2009 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Elyse said...

Wow, Michelle! I can't wait to try your cookie. I mean, the perfect chocolate cookie? You have me dying to try it. Sounds wonderful. I love the textural contrasts you've got going on, too!! Mmm.

April 29, 2009 at 1:43 AM  
Blogger test it comm said...

Those look good! The espresso in then would work well and I like the peppermint and chocolate combo.

April 29, 2009 at 6:02 AM  
Anonymous Teanna said...

OMG STOP! That looks outRAGEOUS!

April 29, 2009 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Marta said...

I tried these yesterday. They came out perfect! Intense chocolate flavour contrasting with delicious peanut rim. Thanks for this great recipe :)

May 6, 2009 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger paula said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 17, 2009 at 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Gene said...

WOW. those do look good! The pics are great too! Gonna bookmark to print and show my wife!

Gene

September 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM  
Blogger Christy K Martin said...

I made these at Christmas using the Balsamic Vinegar instead of espresso. We did not like them at all. They were kind of bland and not much chocolate flavor at all. But...they were very pretty in the cellophane bags.

January 27, 2010 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I would not substitute Balsamic for the espresso. I would just add a Tsp of Balsamic Vinegar to the recipe.

January 29, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home