Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Whisk Wednesdays — Goes Diner!

November 5, 2008

Whisk Wednesdays — Goes Diner!



Last week our Whisk Wednesdays recipe was Beignets de Langoustines (shrimp fritters) with Sauce Tartare. So I decided to serve it as a Shrimp Basket "a la diner-style"! Also made some homemade potato chips which are one of my favorites!

The shrimp were marinated in EVOO and lemon juice before breading and they were out-of-this-world delicious. I will from now on marinate my shrimp before breading...gawd they were so good!

The breading was so light and easy to work with, although I did add a few extra drops of water to thin it just a tad. It was delicous and perfect for shimp.




Beignets de Langoustines, Sauce Tartare
Recipe adapted from Le Cordon Bleu at Home

36 Langoustine, in the shells or 36 large shrimp
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Juice of 1 lemon, strained
1 TBL chopped parsley
EVOO

Savory Fritter Batter
1 1/4 c. flour
1 1/4 potato flour
1 TBL baking powder
Salt
1/4 c. EVOO
1 c. cold water
3 egg whites

Tartar Sauce
2 egg yolks
1 TBL dijon mustard
2 TBL white wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1 1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 hard boiled eggs
2 TBL gherkins
2 TBL fine chopped capers
1 TBL fine chopped onion
1 TBL chopped parsley
1 TBL chopped fresh chives

Parsley sprigs for garnish
3 lemons, wedges
Vegetable oil for frying



Just an update on my home life lately. I have sort of a late start on preparing for winter this year. But our gorgeous fall weather has been so wonderful I am beginning to think I can catch up. So I washed 61 windows including the screens in the last 6 days and I am pooped.

And last weekend Joe cut down our vegetable garden. As he removed the frost damaged tomato plants he laid the green tomatoes on the ground. Eva, our 1 year old female Rottweiler, stole about 10 of the tomatoes and OH BOY did she have fun. But what's really funny is that she only took the BIG ones!

All Rights Reserved 2008 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger NKP said...

Yes! Love it. All I need is a Canadian (Molson) to wash it down.
Hooray for French style pub fare.
And the chips - perfect accompaniment.

November 5, 2008 at 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shrimp look so amazing. Beautiful job. I am with you on that marinating trick...those shrimp were so delicious and I think it was that above all else. Am loving your little family updates...too cute about the doggie and the tomatoes. Mark removed all of our gardening bits, too. I still have my herb pots going...will need to bring those in soon, but don't know if I can keep them all winter or not. It was sure nice having them all summer for cooking!

November 5, 2008 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

This is the best pub fare - and homemade! I'm impressed with your window washing!! That's been on my list of things to do for years!

November 5, 2008 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger kat said...

that does look so wonderful, all that fried up goodness!

November 6, 2008 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger giz said...

Now this is fun food. Eva is smart - she knows what to steal.

November 6, 2008 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Rotties do have good taste! The shrimp looks great! I have been craving shrimp like crazy lately!

November 14, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home