Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Consomme Madrilene and Whisk Wednesdays

August 6, 2008

Consomme Madrilene and Whisk Wednesdays


Consomme: A consommé is made by adding a mixture of ground meats or mousselin with Mirepoix, tomatoes, and egg whites into either bouillon or stock. This is then slowly brought to a simmer, and carefully kept there until the desired product is reached. The act of simmering brings impurities to the surface of the liquid, which are further drawn out due to the presence of acid from the tomatoes. Eventually, all the solids will form a 'raft' at the surface of the liquid, which is held together by the egg protein. The resulting concoction is then a clear liquid that has either a rich amber colour (for beef or veal consommé) or a very pale yellow colour (for poultry consommé). It is then carefully drawn from the pot and passed again through a filter to ensure its purity, and then is put through the lengthy process of skimming all visible fats from its surface.


This week for Whisk Wednesdays we made Consomme Madrilene, chilled consomme with red peppers and tomatoes, from "Le Cordon Bleu At Home". I've never made Consomme before but it was great fun and incorporated several techniques that I've never done before. My consomme turned out wonderfully clear, so I guess I did it right!

There is quite a bit of waste as you discard all of the meat and vegetables but my dogs will love all these goodies. As the Madrilene simmered away the aroma of tarragon was outstanding! And I love tarragon! And how I wish I could have used some of my homegrown tomatoes for this, but here in Northern IL, we've got a ways to go before any tomatoes.




Consomme Madrilene

10 c. Chicken Stock, skimmed of fat and salt free
Salt
12 oz lean ground beef
1 leek (green part only), chopped fine
½ stalk celery, chopped fine
2 carrots, chopped fine
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 TBL finely chopped fresh herbs (parsley, chervil, and tarragon)
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried
½ bay leaf
2 egg whites
30 peppercorns, crushed

Garnish:
8 oz red bell pepper, diced fine
1 small tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
Chervil or parsley leaves

Served chilled.



All Rights Reserved 2008 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

wow, it did turn out beautifully clear!

August 6, 2008 at 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh, that is a great photo!! It sound slike it was quite a trial, and waste, but still a great learning experience.

August 6, 2008 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I bet your dogs loved you this week! I wish I'd tasted the raft just to see if it was worthy for leftovers, but I forgot. Your consomme looks very clear!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

August 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at how clear and perfect that is! Nice work!

August 7, 2008 at 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Michelle! Your consomme is beautiful! So very clear! Way to GO!!
Glennis @ Can't Believe We Ate...

August 8, 2008 at 12:37 AM  
Blogger Lore said...

It's always a great idea to drop by your blog on Wednesday :D. And this time is no different as I am a big soup fan :)

August 8, 2008 at 3:21 AM  
Blogger Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Michelle, the consomme looks delicious. Please go to my site, I have a message for you.

August 8, 2008 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger Thinking About Food said...

Gosh that is ridiculously clear, I might even consider going through all that palaver having seen the result!

August 10, 2008 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger NKP said...

Oh! I almost missed this. It must not have been up last time I checked.
It looks great, perfectly clear. I love the bowl too.
I am glad the doggies liked the "crust".
Looking forward to the onion soup - hubby's fave!

August 10, 2008 at 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The raft is edible by people and some resturants have been known to use it for 'family' meal.

It would not seem to a popular choice however.

Roughly where in Northern Illinois? I was born in Rockford as Ogle county had no hospital, raised there and went to college in Carroll county.

August 12, 2008 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Beautiful job! I like the raft as dog food tip. I give the dogs and my one cat all my leftover egg yolks after making meringues.

August 22, 2008 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger Neen said...

It is beautifully clear! I'm really impressed. I've read about consommés before, and had them at restaurants a couple times, but never tried it so much. Kudos to you for not breaking the raft. Now all I need to do is get me a couple of dogs and then I can try this as well! very adventurous.

August 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Photos are outstanding...isn't it hard to believe that picture one is going to end up being picture two? Amazing.

Beautiful job...just beautiful.

September 19, 2008 at 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home