Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Savory Rolls with Sun Dried Tomatoes

March 2, 2008

Savory Rolls with Sun Dried Tomatoes

My baking buddy Lucy sent me this recipe and I made it and was surprised at how easy it was and so delicious too!! And it's one of those recipes that you can substitute just about any thing in your refrigerator and not be disappointed in the outcome.

And I got to use my new vintage bark cloth pastry cloth to roll out the dough and it worked out beautifully!!! I was at a huge estate sale a few months ago and there were oodles of kitchen items and vintage linens and I stocked up!! The large piece of bark cloth was a true treasure and I thought it would work out as pastry cloth but still it had to be tested. Being I love anything vintage I am thrilled.







Bread rolls with Arugula and Confit Tomatoes
Recipe adapted from Pip in the City

Dough:
Dry yeast, 15 grams (around 1 tablespoon)
Water, 600 cc (around 20 fl oz or 2 1/2 cups)
All-purpose flour (0000), 1 kilo (2.2 pounds)
Salt, 22 grams (1 1/2 tablespoons)
Butter, 85 grams (6 tablespoons)

Filling:
Arugula, 2 bunches
Grated parmesan cheese, 200 grams (around 1 1/4 cups)
Prosciutto or serrano ham, 200 grams, or a bit less than 1/2 a pound (we used bondiola, which is a type of Italian sausage, I´m sure a pastrami would also work great here)
Sun-dried tomatoes, 12 (here, we used confit tomatoes my mother had made, we must have used 20 or so, but they are much milder than sun-dried tomatoes, and much yummier, in my humble opinion)
Olive oil, as needed


My Substitutions and additions:

*I cut the recipe in half and yield was 20 rolls.
*Spinach substituted for Arugula
*No meat
*4 Green Onions, sliced fine

1. For the dough, dissolve the yeast in 100cc of lukewarm water. Add the softened butter and then, little by little, the flour and the salt, alternating this dry mix with the rest of the water (we did this in 3 times).

2. Form a soft dough and knead it for a few minutes.

3. Divide the dough in 2 and shape it like a ball. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.

4. Roll out each of the balls giving it a rectangular shape. Distribute the arugula/spinach leaves on the dough, then the grated cheese, the prosciutto (or bondiola), and the tomatoes and green onions.


5. Sprinkle with a bit of olive oil and roll the rough, starting from the longest side of the rectangle. Cut portions every 1" thick.

6. Put them on slightly-oiled pans or use parchment paper. Cover them and let them double their size.

7. Preheat the oven to 390°.

8. Bake for 25 minutes.


When I make the Savory Rolls again I will make them with Oven Dried Tomatoes and I think they will be even better!


Oven Dried Tomatoes

In large bowl combine:

1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar (I use 18 year Balsamic)
1 Tsp. Lemon juice

1. Leave skin on and cut tomatoes into slices about 1/8" thick.
2. Remove seeds.
3. Place tomatoes in the mixture and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
4. Set oven on 200 degrees.
5. Take tomatoes out of mixture and spread on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. It's fine if the tomatoes touch.
6. They will need to Oven dry for about 4-5 hours. Size of pieces will determine time.

The Oven Dried Tomatoes freeze beautifully. They are especially wonderful in pasta dishes or salads.


All Rights Reserved 2008 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger deborah_ps said...

Had I had this recipe earlier today, I would have made it in one red hot minute! I'll have to pick up some arugula 1st thing tomorrow, because these rolls look deeevine!

I, too love vintage linens and am envious of your bark cloth...did I see it in an earlier post? Because that one was very nice! Bark cloth is harder and harder to come by now. I look on-line and can't bring myself to spend the money they're asking for one lil piece.
I used to U-pick roma tomatoes when I lived in Oregon and just finished the last of the sun drieds, so I'm glad to see your recipe :)

March 3, 2008 at 1:24 AM  
Blogger OhioMom said...

Oh yummy ! My son would love these.

March 3, 2008 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

And yes, the Savory Rolls were very good and so much fun to make. You can make them with just about anything too...very versatile recipe!

Michelle

March 3, 2008 at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home