Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: I love Sour Cream! I love Chocolate!

February 22, 2008

I love Sour Cream! I love Chocolate!

My favorite thing to bake is cookies. I love them made with chocolate, cream cheese or brown sugar. Highly decorated with edible glitters and piped frostings, stuffed with candied dates or flavored with lemon juice and topped with grated zest, they're all wonderful!

I've served them for dessert at dinner parties and had them on my buffet at Thanksgiving and Christmas. You can have one with your morning coffee or pack them in your lunch. You can stash them in your pocket to nibble on while driving to work or eat a few as a mid-day snack.

And the best thing about cookies is that it's not long before they're all gone and it's time to bake more!

I've been meaning to try the Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Drops for some time now. It is a very old recipe and one that you will find at many sites on the internet with few variations in the basic recipe. The original recipe called for 1/2 c. crisco and I never bake my cookies with anything but butter, real butter, and it makes such a difference in the taste and consistency.


Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Drops (aka Zebra Cookies)
Recipe adapted from Cooks.com

1/2 c. butter, room temperature
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt


Mix together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and sour cream. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add dry mixture to sour cream mixture. Chill for at least 3-4 hours.

Drop rounded teaspoonfuls about 2" apart on parchment paper. Bake until delicately browned about 8-10 minutes.

Notes: This dough is very sticky and after baking the cookies did stick to my parchment paper. When I took the cookies from the oven I lifted the parchment paper off the cookie sheet and carefully peeled it back to remove the warm cookies. If the cookie cool on the parchment paper, it is more difficult to remove them.

The cookies are a nice cookie but too plain for my taste. And they needed something else to perk up the appearance and taste and compliment the sour cream. So I drizzled ganache over the cookies and it was a perfect! OH MY.....Yummy!!!





All Rights Reserved 2008 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger OhioMom said...

Oh Michelle, those look delicious ! I have to confess cookies are my least favorite things to bake :) ... but I could munch on one of those any time of the day.

February 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

And aren't they fun!!! So many stripes on 1 dish! Makes me want to rename them "Zebra Cookies"! LOL!!!

They are very good and will be gone by tomorrow.

Michelle

February 22, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home