Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Whisk Wednesday -- Coquilles Saint Jacques Dieppoise

April 1, 2009

Whisk Wednesday -- Coquilles Saint Jacques Dieppoise



This week for Whisk Wednesdays we were supposed to make Cuisses de Grenouille aux Herbes (Herbed Frog Legs). I love Frog Legs and my market had some frozen last week but when I went to buy them, they were sold out! I should have bought them last week but for some reason I didn't....my loss! But I could find fresh Canadian Mussels so I made next week's WW's recipe which is Coquilles Saint Jacques Dieppoise (Scallops with Mussels and Shrimp in Cream Sauce). Now I am either a week ahead or a week behind depending on how you look at it!

Although I've lived in Florida where Mussels are a staple, I've never made them before. Compared to other Le Cordon Bleu recipes this was an easy dish to prepare, unfortunately, I did not like this dish at all. And Mr. Tastebuds said it was okay but complained about the scallops and lack of seasoning. The dish was very bland and needed some garlic and basil. Scallops are best seared or sauteed to bring out the sweetness in the meat and just simmering them in a wine sauce did not bring out the best of scallops. Also I used heavy cream and I thinking that I should have used cream fraiche and this would have added a bit more flavor, but I still don't think it would have added enough flavor to make this a fabulous dish.








Coquilles Saint Jacques Dieppoise
Recipe adapted from Le Cordon Bleu at Home

2 lbs mussels
2 TBL butter
2 large shallots, chopped fine
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 TBL chopped parsley
Fresh ground pepper
2 TBL butter
1 lb mushrooms
Salt
10 oz medium sized shrimp
18 large sea scallops
1/2 c. creme fraiche or heavy cream (I used heavy cream)
1 TBL chopped parsley







All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Shari said...

I was looking forward to this one. Thanks for the tip about creme fraiche. I'll try making some beforehand.

April 1, 2009 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Elyse said...

These mussels look fabulous! Let's call it a week ahead!! I totally have to make this recipe; mussels are one of my favorites.

April 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Beautiful, just beautiful. Love the noodles!

April 1, 2009 at 6:27 PM  
Anonymous cookingschoolconfidential.com said...

This has most of my favorite ingredients: mussels, wine, shrimp, and creme fraiche. Now, if you can only find a way to get chocolate in there, you'd have a complete meal.

I'll have to ask one of the chefs at school!

Cheers.

April 2, 2009 at 8:53 PM  
Anonymous Kayte said...

It certainly looks very beautiful! Sounds like we need to play around a bit with the recipe after we make it...taste it, see where it needs to go before applying the noodles...LOL! Yours looks really wonderful.

April 5, 2009 at 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home