Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: The Dandelions are coming......

April 22, 2008

The Dandelions are coming......




I finally did it! I finally made Dandelion Soup!

I was at my market and they had fresh Dandelion Greens for a very reasonable price and so I snatched some and made soup today. I used my Cream of Spinach Soup recipe which is one of our favorites.

I substituted the Dandelion Greens for the spinach and I added 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 TBL Dijon Mustard and 2 TBL balsamic vinegar. If you're adding the vinegar I would eliminate the optional white wine.

The first spoonful was bitter but with the second spoonful, the third and the fourth, the soup just got better and better. Yes, I would make Dandelion Soup again!


Cream of Spinach Soup
Recipe adapted from "Tested, Tried and True" by the Flint (MI) Junior League

4-5 Green Onions, chopped clear to the top
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 Box of Frozen Spinach
1/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup of Flour
2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup light cream

Optional: 1/4 cup dry white wine

Saute onion, celery, and spinach in butter until tender. Stir in flour, cook gently. Add chicken stock, while stirring. Bring to boil. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Place in blender or emerse hand held blender into pot to blend vegetables smooth. Mix egg yolk and cream and add to soup. Add wine if desired and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Any vegetable or mixed vegetables may be substituted for spinach.

Sorry no picture tonight.


All Rights Reserved 2008 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger OhioMom said...

DH and I were walking through the park last year, we came across a man who was harvesting dandelions, I like the greens in salad.

April 23, 2008 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger giz said...

You are a brave soul aren't you. I've always been rather intimidated by dandelions.

April 23, 2008 at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home