Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: By any other Name..Habanero Gold Jelly

April 16, 2008

By any other Name..Habanero Gold Jelly


I love to can and I love to stand back and look at all my freshly canned jars all lined up and gleaming. And the ping of the lids sealing is just the sweetest sound. And when I open the door to my pantry and see all the goodness just waiting to be opened...gawd there is just nothing more beautiful. My Habanero Jelly is my entry to the Art You Can Eat #3 Go Local blogging event.

Habanero Gold Jelly is our all time favorite and we go through jars of it. We are not jelly fans nor hot pepper fans....who'd a thought!! But it's sweet/tangy taste is absolutely addictive and once you taste it, you can not stop eating it. This addiction problem is why I only can Habanero Gold in half pints!

My friend Carol used her vast canning experience to develop the "Big Batch" version "to increase the small yield...because liquid pectin is expensive". And she did just that, doubling the yield yet not interfering with the taste, and it is fabulous!

The Habanero Gold Jelly Recipe is reprinted in the new "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving", but they do not credit Mr. Rouleau for developing the original recipe which is a shame.



habjelly2




Carol Clark's "Big Batch" Habanero Gold Jelly or Hot 'N Sweet Confetti Jelly
Recipe inspired by "Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving" by Bob Rouleau


1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice) *See Carol's Notes
1-1/4 total cup minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
1/4 cup Habanero peppers **See Carol's Notes
1-1/2 cups white vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 3-ounce pouch liquid pectin

*Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.

**Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.

Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes.

Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight. Stir occasionally if convenient.

Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil and stir in liquid pectin.




Boil hard 1 minute. Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids.

Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, Boiling Water Bath 10 minutes. When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.

Reprinted with Carol Clark's written permission.


Pink Popper Jelly
Developed in the Kitchen of Big-Black-Dog and inspired by my friend Carol

Same as Carol's Big Batch Habanero Gold Jelly with the following changes:



3/4 c. minced dried apricots
1/4 c. minced dried cherries
1 1/2 Habneraro peppers, diced (I'm soft when it comes to hot pepper!)

The Pink Popper Jelly is a rosy orange and the taste is just different enough to justify the name change. We love the Pink Popper Jelly and I only use MI Dried Cherries because they're the best!!

In the picture to the right my Pink Popper Jelly is the bottom jar and the Habanero Gold Jelly is the top. You can plainly see the difference in color but you'll have to imagine the taste!



Check out my Savory Cheddar and Jalapeno Jelly Cookies!


All Rights Reserved 2008 © Big Black Dogs

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger AYE Admin said...

I love your entry! I do the same thing when I can. It is just so pretty, and the pepper jellies are the prettiest. I make a jalapeno/red pepper jelly that I just stare at (and then devour). Thanks for entering!

April 17, 2008 at 12:37 AM  
Blogger OhioMom said...

As someone who has been gifted with a jar of this jelly, all I can say is WOW !! I did not want to share any with the food critic, but he kept finding it :)

April 17, 2008 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger giz said...

I'm so jealous - I always admire people who do such a great job at preserving. I'm definitely giving it a shot - Pixie at You Say Tomato and I Say Tomatoh and Rosie have a "putting it up" event on right now - have a look!!

April 17, 2008 at 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the pepper jelly I learned about at this pepper festival but WOW is that color gorgeousss!

April 18, 2008 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger DocChuck said...

Your post on Habanero Gold Jelly is GREAT!

I have been using a very similar recipe for years to make my wife's and my favorite jelly . . . well, actually, we use it as a condiment on red meats, wild game, and other dishes that can be "complemented" by, but not "over-powered" by, the delicious jelly.

Your photos are classics.

Thanks for a great post.

April 18, 2008 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger jd said...

Wow - those pics are amazingly pretty!

Habanero Jelly sounds really delicious... I'll have to try it asap. Thanks for the great idea!

PS I *love* the "ping" sound that the canning jars make, too :)

April 18, 2008 at 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genius. Apricots and chillis. Every summer I stop by the farmer's market and get chillis on a weekly basis - just because I can't resist how fresh they are. Being a chili-fan, I can't wait to make this. Thanks!

April 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger Susan @ SGCC said...

The look great! I love spicy pepper jellies. You can use them so many ways. Thanks for sharing!

April 18, 2008 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger kellypea said...

Gorgeous photo! Sounds yummy, too. I've had jalapeno jelly (mmm...with goat's cheese on crostini...) but not this. I'd love to try it.

July 18, 2008 at 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Lynn O. said...

I'm excited to see your blog about Habanero Gold Jelly - We have a scorching bumper crop of Habaneros and I was planning to make the recipe from the Ball Home Preserving book today - we LOVE hot peppers but I have never made jelly - so it was nice to read your comments and tips! Thanks!

September 7, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home