Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Canning with the Snow Drifts

February 18, 2008

Canning with the Snow Drifts



I am a canner, wholeheartedly and with every breath I take and jar I have!!

But in the winter there are no home grown tomatoes or peaches or apples. So I am not above mail ordering citrus and I found a wonderful Kumquat Grower in Florida that has absolutely gorgeous fruit.

Kumquats have a very thin skin and do not travel well so the Kumquats we have in our stores here in IL are ridiculously expensive and half are rotten or moldy...yuck!! The Kumquat season is December through March so when we're neck deep in snow and sub zero temps, sunshine can be had in a box of Kumquats. Oh how I love Kumquats and eat them whole, seeds and all....pure heaven and I don't even have to bake!

Last year I ordered 10 lbs of Kumquats and when they arrived, it was so fun opening the box of Orange Goodness! We were in construction at the time and we were living in the basement and I had a temporary kitchen with a hot plate, microwave and no oven!! It was desperate times but I managed. And the tangy sweet goodness of the Kumquats was just the pick-me-up I needed!

So about a month ago I ordered another 10 lbs of Kumquats. But this time I was ready for canning, more specifically Kumquat Marmalade. Now, we're not fans of jelly, jam or marmalade but since I'm a canner I still make it in small batches. And jellies and marmalades make wonderful gifts too and there is nothing more beautiful then a full pantry!!!





Kumquat Marmalade

3 qt Kumquats (about 5 1/2 pounds)
2 c Water
3 1/4 c Sugar
3 oz Liquid pectin

Wash Kumquats and crosscut in half. The pits should be on the wider half and just pick them out and discard. Place kumquats in a FP and pulse until chopped and you can still recognize pieces of rind.

Combine kumquats, peeled lemons, and 2 cups water in a heavy pot; bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered, 45 minutes.

Add sugar and bring to a rolling boil. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add pectin.

Pour marmalade into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace; wipe jar rims. Cover with metal lids; screw on bands. Process marmalade in boiling-water bath 10 minutes.

Yield: 12 half pints.




I had to put another picture of my pantry. I never tire of opening the door and looking at all the goodness!








All Rights Reserved 2008 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger OhioMom said...

Oh your pantry looks wonderful with all the fruits of your labor ... I have canning envy :) This will be the year I learn to can.

February 19, 2008 at 7:06 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I have loved browsing through all your canning recipes! I really enjoy canning, too, and this last year my husband grew a huge vegetable garden and planted about 8 or 10 more fruit trees on our property. So I'm looking forward to a goooood summer filled with some yummy homegrown goodness I get to play with. Your pantry is lovely! Don't you just love to open the doors and smile at all those jars? I hope to get a good crop of apples this year and maybe make your apple/maple butter. It sounds delicious.

February 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger Christina, Sweden said...

your pantry looks wonderful, what a treasure to have. You have so many interesting recipes here!!
Wish I had your wonderful cherries, it my favourite berry

Christina, sweden

April 17, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home