Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Bavarois à la Vanille with Coulis de Framboise

August 2, 2009

Bavarois à la Vanille with Coulis de Framboise


I truly love Red Raspberries! And when I saw that Bavarois a la Vanille with Coulis de Framboise aka Vanilla Bavarian Cream with Raspberry Coulis was on the menu for Whisk Wednesdays I was excited to make this dessert! Although I've had Baravian Cream in restaurants I've never made it before. It is a little different method and calls for gelatin instead of cornstarch to thicken the pudding. And I did grind an entire Vanilla Bean instead of just scraping out the vanilla seeds.

The Coulis de Framboise aka Raspberry Sauce was delicious with the Bavarian Cream. I changed this recipe a little bit too! I added abt 1/4 c of Chateau St. Jean's Riesling which is a sweet white wine. I cut down the lemon juice to just 2 tsp and of course I had to strain out all those nasty Raspberry seeds. And I topped mine with not only whipped cream but a sprinkle of nutmeg and a few fresh raspberries.



DSCF8104




Bavarois à la Vanille with Coulis de Framboise (Vanilla Bavarian Cream with Raspberry Coulis)
Recipe adapted from Le Cordon Bleu at Home

Coulis de Framboise:
1 1/2 c Raspberries
1/2 c confectioner's sugar
Juice of ½ lemon (I cut the lemon down to 2-3 tsp)
1/4 c Riesling (I added the wine)

Creme Anglaise:
1 c milk
1 vanilla bean (I ground the entire bean)
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
4 TBL strawberry coulis

Gelatin:
1/4 ounce powdered gelatin (abt 1 TBL)
2 TBL cold water

Whipped Cream:
1 3/4 c heavy cream, whipped

Coulis:
Rinse the raspberries. Put the raspberries in a food processor and whiz until completely pureed. Then strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard any seeds. Stir in the confectioner's sugar and lemon juice. In a small sauce pan heat the coulis until it begins to thicken. Add the wine and continue heating until it will coat the back of the spoon without dripping.

Creme Anglaise.
Over medium heat in a heavy saucepan heat milk and ground vanilla bean in a heavy. Bring mixture to a slight boil. Remove immediately from the heat and let sit for about 8-10 minutes.

Whisk the yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves. While whisking, slowly drizzle in about 1/2 c of the hot milk mixture. Keep whisking and slowly add the rest of the milk.

Reheat the Creme Anglaise and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Add the raspberry coulis.

Sprinkle the gelatin over the 2 TBL of cold water and stir until dissolved. Then, stir the gelatin into the creme anglaise mixture until it is thoroughly blended. Chill in the refrigerator until the mixture just starts to gel.

In a cold mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks.

When the creme anglaise begins to gel, fold in the whipped cream. Pour the Bavarian cream into molds and chill completely for at least 3 hours or overnight.

To serve:
To unmold, dip the mold in hot water for about 10 seconds. Then invert onto a serving platter. If needed, slide a knife around the edge to loosen. You can either serve the remaining Raspberry Coulis on the side or drizzled onto the Creme along with a topping of Whipped Cream.



DSCF8102-1





All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous knittykim said...

that pic and recipe just made Monday better.

August 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh my goodness....this is really not fair because...well, I don't have any sitting in front of me. I love raspberries and this looks fantastic!!

August 3, 2009 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Cool Design Shelties said...

Had to try this recipe :o)

//Bente

August 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Lori E said...

This is a perfect summer dessert.

August 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Lovely...I can taste it with my eyes.. xoxo~Kathy~ @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

August 3, 2009 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Kathy Walker said...

This looks to die for wonderful! Light, rich, tasty....what more could one ask?

August 3, 2009 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Ria Mathew said...

Oooo! Very seductive! :)

xx

August 3, 2009 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger Debra from Bungalow said...

mmmmmmmmm, Mouth watering!

August 4, 2009 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Deeba PAB said...

I absolutely love Bavarian cream, despite my dislike for eggs. This dessert is sensational Michelle...can I come over?

August 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger pam said...

I am sooo drooling right now!

August 4, 2009 at 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Kayte said...

I don't suppose there is any of this left? No? I didn't think so as I would have eaten a huge bowl of this all on my own...looks perfectly wonderful.

August 13, 2009 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

I can't wait to make this again! ONe of my favorites! Looks gorgeous!

September 7, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home