Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: BBA - Cinnamon Cranberry Mini Challah

July 19, 2009

BBA - Cinnamon Cranberry Mini Challah




Cinnamon - (Cinnamomum verum, synonym C. zeylanicum) is a small evergreen tree 10–15 metres (32.8–49.2 feet) tall, belonging to the family Lauraceae, and is native to Sri Lanka.


The name cinnamon is correctly used to refer to Ceylon cinnamon, also known as "true cinnamon". However, the related species, Cassia (Cinnamomum aromaticum), Saigon Cinnamon (Cinnamomum loureiroi), and Cinnamomum burmannii are sometimes sold labeled as cinnamon, sometimes distinguished from true cinnamon as "Chinese cinnamon", "Vietnamese cinnamon", or "Indonesian cinnamon"; sometimes referred to as being cassia. Ceylon cinnamon, using only the thin inner bark, has a finer, less dense, and more crumbly texture, and is considered to be less strong than cassia. Cassia has a much stronger flavour than cinnamon, is generally a medium to light reddish brown, hard and woody in texture, and thicker, as all of the layers of bark are used.




DSCF7750




I am a cinnamon addict. My favorite cinnamon, Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cassia, is not a true cinnamon, but it has the most exquisite aroma and flavor and I just love it. I buy my Vietnamese Cassia, 1 lb at a time, from Penzeys Spices. And I always use more cinnamon then the recipe calls for, yes I am a true cinnamon lover!

This week for our Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge we are making Cinnamon Raisin Bread. Of course with me being me I have to mix things up and change it around just a little. I substituted orange-flavored dried cranberries for the raisins and decided to make 1-piece mini challahs instead of a loaf. The orange-flavored dried cranberries were so good in this recipe that I think I found a permanent substitute for raisins!

And the 1-piece braided challahs, video below, were so easy, I can't wait to try this technique again. I made my braids much smaller and only used an 18" dough rope to begin which amounted to a finished 8" challah.







Google Books has the entire book, "The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread", by Peter Reinhart, scanned and you can find the recipe on Page 147 by clicking here.



DSCF7755



Here's some links to other BBA'ers and their interpretations of this recipe:

Oggie at I can do that!
Caroline at Two Skinny Jenkins
Angela at Gourmet Hotdish and other Culinary Disasters
Jia at Sweet and Savory



All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Lori E said...

Oh Michelle this looks so good that I think I can even smell the cinnamon.
I was thinking of you yesterday when after a day of farm and artisan food shopping I brought my beautiful Camembert and other cheeses and spreads home to nothing more than Ritz Crackers.
I didn't have a descent bread in my house and was too lazy to go out again at 5 o'clock. My gosh I hang my head in shame.

July 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Such a nice braid. Tasty looking. :)
Great job,
Susie

July 19, 2009 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger Deeba PAB said...

♥♥♥ the idea of cinnamon & orange flavoured cranberries. I love those cranberries, & my sis always carries a big bag for the kids when she comes down from the States. I also ♥ the fun you are getting out of the BBA baking. Good for you Michelle...these mini challahs are precious! Congrats on your own site!

July 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

A beautiful Challah...and I also am a huge cinnamon lover.. I would love to find the vietnamese version.xoxo~Kathy~2 Sweet Up-North Mornings...

July 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger pam said...

Another cinnamon lover here! I absolutely love the smell of cinnamon as it's baking.

July 20, 2009 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger The Missing Piece said...

Excellent job! Thanks for the video. I'll have to try it.
I love Pensey's extra fancy cassia also. I didn't realize it wasn't a true cinnamon. I love it.

July 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Cindy said...

I love the one strand challah. It looks like so much fun to do. I have to try that soon. I am going to check out Penzy's cinnamon. Thanks for the cinnamon lesson.

July 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
Nice post! I really like the video!
Thanks for the link to my blog :) I'll be looking forward to your future BBA posts!

Carolyn

July 20, 2009 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger NKP said...

Looks wonderful! I love the smell of baking with cinnamon.

July 21, 2009 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

absolutely beautiful!! the things you do with do are so inspiring.

July 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Great raisin substitution and lovely loaves! I can smell the cinnamon from here...

July 22, 2009 at 7:52 AM  
Blogger misterrios said...

Beautiful braid-loaf. So many good ideas on this challenge. Congrats on becoming a dot net!

July 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blogs very much thank you for posting, I too enjoy cooking and your recipes are awesome!

July 24, 2009 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

That looks wonderful! I haven't been here in a while, lots of delicious food!
I signed up for a class at the Culinary School about 45 min from here...should be fun!

July 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Di said...

That looks really cool! I'm going to have to try that shaping technique. Thanks for sharing it.

August 2, 2009 at 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look really good. Have you tried making them with real Cinnamon.

The Cinnamon that we buy in the US is actually Cassia and not Cinnamon. Real Cinnamon is much sweeter and you can reduce on the sugar.

August 25, 2009 at 5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home