Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: TFF -- Grilled Flat Bread with Blue Cheese and Crunchy Red Grapes

June 5, 2009

TFF -- Grilled Flat Bread with Blue Cheese and Crunchy Red Grapes


As soon as I saw the recipe for Tyler Florence's Grilled Flat Bread with Crunchy Red Grapes I knew I had to try it. There's just something about Tyler and Red Grapes that appeals to me!

Tyler suggests purchasing ready made flat bread but I made Focaccia Bread instead and used a recipe from my niece, Joelle. I also substituted green onions for the yellow onion which was the only change I made.

The Grilled Flat Bread Topped with Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese, Mascarpone and Crunchy Red Grapes was absolutely delicious. I served this with Tyler's Wild Mushroom with Roasted Fennel Soup and although this soup is wonderful after one bite of the Grilled Bread I decided to save my soup for another day and just had Grilled Bread and a glass of De Bortoli Petite Sirah for dinner. I really can not tell you how good this bread was but I could not wait to take another bite!



GrillFlat2



Focaccia Bread
Recipe adapted from my niece, Joelle

1 1/3 c. warm tap water
2 1/2 tsp (1 envelope) active dry yeast
6 TBL. EVOO
3 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Kosher salt for topping

In a medium sized bowl measure water and whisk in yeast and 3 TBL oil.

When yeast has started to bubble, mix in flour and salt. Cover bowl and let rise until at least double.

Spread 1 1/2 TBL EVOO on 10 1/2 by 15 1/2 jelly roll pan. Turn dough out onto pan and press into edges. Cover the dough with a piece of oiled plastic wrap and allow it to rise again, up to about an hour or until doubled in size.

Poke cavities into dough at 2" intervals.

Drizzle remaining 1 1/2 TBL EVOO over dough and sprinkle with Kosher Salt.

Bake at 450 degrees until brown on edges.

Note: Keep you eye on this bread as it bakes quickly. When it starts pulling away from the edges of the pan it is done.


GrillFlat9



Grilled Flat Bread Topped with Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese, Mascarpone and Crunchy Red Grapes
Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence

extra-virgin olive oil
3 large onions, sliced (I used 5 Green Onions thinly sliced into coins)
1 large store-bought rustic-style flatbread (I made Focaccia Bread)
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups mascarpone
1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola
1 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
2 cups firm red grapes, halved
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley

In a large saute pan heat a 2 count of olive oil over medium-heat. Add onions and slowly caramelize until brown and creamy. Set aside.

Preheat the grill to high. Quickly and carefully wipe the grate with oiled paper towels to create a nonstick surface. Brush the flat bread with oil and season with salt and pepper. Reduce grill heat to medium. Grill bread on both sides until warmed through and brown with grill marks.

Quickly transfer flat bread to a platter and smear with mascarpone while still warm. Sprinkle with Gorgonzola, caramelized onions, toasted walnuts, and grapes. Season with a few turns of freshly ground black pepper, drizzle lightly with some additional oil, and top with a shower of fresh parsley.



GrillFlat10



Please visit Tyler Florence Fridays and see what the rest of Tyler's groupies are up too this week.








Gadgets That Work




Although I wanted a good pizza cutter for a long time, I did not own one until a few years ago. The Mario Batali Pizza Wheel has a polycarbonate, aka plastic, wheel and I picked this one up at TJMaxx for $9.99. I have a fear of large, sharp blades but I am very comfortable using the Batali Pizza Wheel and I'm sure it's because of the plastic blade. It has a slightly padded handle that easily fits my small hand and it is dishwasher safe.

I love my pizza cutter and use it for much more then just cutting pizza. Because of the round blade it makes a perfect, straight cut. It works wonderfully for cutting raw dough for breadsticks. The Pizza Wheel easily cuts though any warm sandwich, especially panini sandwiches, without crushing the bread and melted cheese. It also works well to rough cut herbs and parsley for garnishes.




All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

It's funny that I just discovered (yesterday) that a pizza cutter can be used for many different things, I sliced garlic with it, just because it was there and it did a very good job. I will be trying it on other things soon. Oh, I never heard of crnchy red grapes..

June 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Sweet I will definitely have to check out that pizza cutter. I can't find mine and I like dishwasher safe for the lazy factor.

Also, I prefer the green onions over the other onions too. Reminds me of grandpa and I devouring them in the garden.

Nicely done!

June 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Megan said...

Grapes, cheese, bread and wine....

Can I move in? What a combo - I love it!

June 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger NKP said...

What a delicious looking bread! I have always wanted to make a focaccia with red grapes on it, and that flavour combo is wonderful!
Love the Mario pizza cutter, especially as it is orange. :)

June 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM  
Anonymous katrina said...

You said crunchy grapes and gorgonzola. Then threw in homemade focaccia. I'm hooked!

June 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

It's beautiful! I love the combo of the grapes and blue cheese--yum!

June 5, 2009 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

looks heavenly! and I never thought to use my pizza cutter for other things. Woo Hoo!! Thanks for the tip :)

June 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Arlene Delloro said...

I would have gone for the bread and wine, too. I love the different tastes and textures, great contrast and pretty, too.

June 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Kayte said...

That looks delicious...and hmmm...what have we here, a bread recipe for those of us who are becoming addicted to baking breads...must go there real soon. I love every single one of those topping items. Thanks for the product review...looks great!

June 5, 2009 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

this looks great!! Happy TFF!
http://sogkonniteliving.blogspot.com

June 5, 2009 at 7:21 PM  
Blogger pam said...

I was just looking through my books trying to decide what to make next week, and this was one of the recipes that I had narrowed it down to! I'm glad to here it was as good as it sounds!

June 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Kim said...

This is one of my favorite Tyler recipes out there! It was addictive and delicious. Yours looks beautiful and I bet the wine made it even better.

June 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Donna-FFW said...

This looks absolutely beautiful and I am loving the combination of blue cheese and grapes..

June 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM  
Anonymous karen said...

looks amazing. i will be trying this one, tyler and grapes appeal to me too. :)

June 6, 2009 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What an interesting combination. This recipe is definitely worth a try! And I love my pizza cutter too. I use it for all kinds of things like cutting cookie dough or dumplings or anything thin that needs a straight edge. Cutting herbs is a great idea too.

June 7, 2009 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

That sure looks pretty, almost too pretty to eat. Okay, maybe not that pretty. :-)

June 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home