Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Whisk Wednesday -- Catching UP!

May 31, 2009

Whisk Wednesday -- Catching UP!


Today I am trying to catch up a bit with Whisk Wednesdays, my weekly French cooking lesson. And will be posting Gratin de Fruits au Marasquin or Fruit Gratin with Maraschino Liqueur and Aubergines Bayildi or Gratin of Stuffed Eggplant.

With all my Whisk Wednesday recipes I do try to keep as close to the original recipe as possible and only make substitutions when I can't find the specific ingredient or our economic pinch budget will not allow it.

I have to admit that we really did not care for the Gratin de Fruits. But in all fairness I do not like mango nor figs! Since I was given a case, YES A CASE, of bananas I did add bananas which were very good with the sabayon sauce! And I loved how the bananas developed stripes when broiled! I knew that the sabayon would burn easily so did not broil very long and I think it would have had a much better taste if I would have let it brown a bit more.



fruit1




Gratin de Fruites
Recipe adapted from "Le Cordon Bleu at Home"


3 mangoes
6 figs
2 TBL maraschino liqueur (I used cherry brandy)

For the Sabayon:
2 egg yolks
1/2 c confectioners' sugar
2/3 c dry white wine
2 TBL maraschino liqueur (I used cherry brandy)



Now the Auberines Bayildi was an entirely different story and we loved it. I think this is the first Le Cordon Bleu recipe I've made that called for garlic. Also I substituted Mozzarella Cheese for the Gruyère. Yes, I went all Italian on this recipe and it was delicious!


eggplant



Aubergines Bayildi
Recipe adapted from "Le Cordon Bleu at Home"

3 small eggplants
Salt
5 TBL EVOO
3 shallots, chopped fine
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 TBL tomato paste
1 3/4 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
Freshly ground pepper
3 TBL finely sliced basil leaves
2 tomatoes
4 oz grated Gruyère cheese (I used Mozzarella)
3 TBL butter
Basil leaves for garnish

Vegetable oil for baking sheet




fruit2




All Rights Reserved 2008-9 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both dishes look wonderful! Wasn't the flavor of the aubergine dish different? I'm not a fan of eggplant, but that worked! A case of bananas might well be right up there on the list of most unusual gifts!

May 31, 2009 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger Elyse said...

Ooo, that eggplant looks fantastic!! And the sabayon sauce sounds amazing, too. I'm not sure I would've liked the figs either, but at least you were able to make a dent in your case of bananas :) Great job!

June 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I am seeing bananas everywhere lately. Nice substitution!

June 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger NKP said...

Mmm, this would have been a great week to be a dinner guest at your home! Looks great.
Were you singing banana songs?
Dayo or Yes, We Have No Bananas?
Maybe a little Carmen Miranda?
Just wondering..

June 1, 2009 at 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Kayte said...

Well, the addition of bananas had to be a happy thing! Looks great and I think the bananas would be perfect in this. Love the eggplant dish...yours looks so great with all that melty cheese on the top. Very nice.

June 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I bet this was good with bananas! And your eggplants looks fantastic too!

June 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home