Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Remember Babe, Paul Bunyan's buddy?

April 4, 2008

Remember Babe, Paul Bunyan's buddy?



Babe the Blue Ox


I stumbled upon a new food blogging event the other day and let out a sigh of relief! Finally...oh finally a meat event....OH MY, I am thrilled!

Hank of Hunter Angler Gardener Cook is hosting the 1st Meat and Greet. Such a cute name, but where is the cool logo? :)



Since I was planning on making Braised Ox Tails this weekend, the timing could not be more perfect. My husband is in 7th heaven every time I make them. On the other hand, I could skip the tails but the gravy and the vegetables braised along with the Tails are melt-in-your-mouth good!!




My photos did not turn out as well as I would have liked. They came out very dark although the tails were beautifully braised. Oh well.....


Braised Ox Tails
Recipe developed in the kitchen of Big-Black-Dog

2 c. of Merlot wine
1-2 c. of chicken stock
2 TBL Balsamic Vinegar
1 TBL basil
1 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp rosemary
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
3-4 carrots, cut into 3-4" pieces
10-12 small brussel sprouts
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the wine, stock, vinegar and herbs. Place the tails and vegetables in a low, oven proof dish and pour the wine mixture in the dish. Cook at 300 degrees for 2 hours.

The sauce makes delicious gravy! I removed the meat and vegetables, strained the sauce and made my gravy with a corn starch/flour mix and served it over mashed potatoes.



I braised the Ox Tails in my Tagine..one of my favorite cooking vessels!




All Rights Reserved 2008 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger OhioMom said...

I will take the veggies and gravy, "hold the beef". I love my tagine too :)

April 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm for the oxtails, one of my favorite foods. If I hadn't been planning on the pates for that weekend already, I might have done an oxtail entry.

May 5, 2008 at 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love oxtails, and those look amazing!

June 5, 2008 at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home