Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Light Citrus Strawberry Spread

January 20, 2010

Light Citrus Strawberry Spread


I love to can late at night when everyone is asleep and I'm all alone in my kitchen. I count out the lids and get the water bath ready. I prep the vegetables or fruit and sneak a little taste here and there. I sterilize my jars and line them up, squeaky clean and gleaming, on my kitchen counter. The smell of the fresh tomatoes or peaches fills the air as it comes to a boil! I carefully fill the jars with the recipe du jour, screw on the lid and then and only then is it ready for the finale.... the Boiling Water Bath (BWB). After twenty minutes, I remove the jar and wait in anticipation to hear the most wonderful sound in the world and that's the PING of a sealing lid! I swear I can hear the PING three rooms away!

When I get up in the morning and wander into the kitchen for my first cup of coffee, and see all my jars lined up, I feel so accomplished. Is there anything more gorgeous then freshly canned goodness?



DSCF0986-2




Light Citrus Strawberry Spread
Recipe adapted from "The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving" by Ellie Topp

Makes 8 - 4oz jars

1 large orange
4 c strawberries, washed and hulled
1 TBL lemon juice
2 TBL granulated sugar
1 box light (low-sugar) fruit pectin
1 c granular low-calorie sweetener (I used Natur, All Natural Sweetener)

1. Grate 2 tsp zest from orange; place in a large stainless-steel or enamel saucepan. Remove and discard remaining white rind from orange. Chop pulp and place in a 4 cup measuring cup.

2. Mash strawberries; add to orange. You should have 3 cups of fruit.

3. Combine fruit, lemon juice, sugar, and pectin in saucepan; mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sweetener, return to a boil, and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly.

4. Ladle into sterilized jars and process in a BWB. Once opened, keep in the refrigerator and use within 3 weeks.

Tasting Notes: This spread which is actually more like a butter, is very tart. I did add an additional 2 TBL granular low-calorie sweetener which was perfect. Mr. Tastebuds loved it and it was very good on Rice Pudding!



I've joined another monthly event! You're probably thinking "Michelle don't you have enough to do?". I know but I hate to miss out on anything and I like being busy! Can Jam, a monthly canning event, is hosted by Tigress of Tigress in a Jam. Canning is so much fun, you should really try it!



DSCF0887-3-550








I'm now starting my third week of the Ten in 10 Challenge and so far I've worked out 7 times in 10 days...WOOT! And I bought some 2 lb weights to start some weight training at home. I'm going to be following "8 Minutes in the Morning for a Perfect Body" by Jorge Cruise.



All Rights Reserved 2008-10 © BigBlackDog



Labels: , , , , , , ,

30 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

Congrats to you on your third week of the challenge! You are doing awesome.

this spread sounds amazing. I have never canned before. Maybe this summer, when I have more free time, I will give it a go. In the meantime I will just drool over your recipes.

January 20, 2010 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Good for you for sticking with your workouts. You must feel great! I love fresh strawberry jam/preserves. I bet it is delicious with a hint of citrus. I bet you can't wait to use it on some of your homemade bread;D

January 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love to can jam and this is perfect with all the bread your baking! I'll have to try this recipe when I start seeing the strawberrys appear. Should be soon!
Great job on th 10in10 challenge. 7 out of 10 days in awesome!

January 20, 2010 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I spend a fortune on good preserves and would love to try canning. I just haven't gotten up the nerve yet! This recipe sounds wonderful.

Kudos on the workouts!

January 20, 2010 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Homemade is the best! I love the citrus in your spread. Mmmm! Good luck with the workouts!

January 20, 2010 at 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Kayte said...

When I was growing up, everyone canned. Farm folks always can. But, although I helped with prepping food, etc., I never learned to can. I regret that now as I am too nervous about giving someone food poisoning to try. These jars all lined up look so lovely, and I am most certain they taste lovely! Kudos to you for learning how to do all you do.

January 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM  
Anonymous petra said...

I agree, canning is so very satisfying. I have an electric water bath canner too and do a lot of canning during the summer/fall season. My pantry is full and we have to use it all up before we leave Germany this summer. Plenty of apple pies here lately and jam tarts. Enjoy your jam and happy canning!

January 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger natalia said...

Wonderful jam ! I have to wait for the right season !

January 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Homemade rocks! My neighbor taught me how to can jams this past summer. We just opened our second jar of strawberry jam this morning...which of course is spread on my HBin5 bread :)

Great job on your workouts! Keep it up...you know you can!

January 20, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Lori E said...

I love that Small Batch cookbook. It makes canning so doable.
I know exactly what you mean about seeing the jars lined up like jewels. What an accomplishment.

January 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

Canning is on my list of things to learn to do this year! I had some amazing English lemon marmalade that was homemade and I have never had one as good since....

Good for you sticking with your new years programs!

January 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Your citrus strawberry spread looks gorgeous! What a great combination! I may have to try this one myself. Thanks for sharing.

January 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I've never canned but my mother did. That's a lovely light recipe with the strawberries.
Sam

January 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Fresh Local and Best said...

I have never canned, but I am completely intrigued by the concept and of the 'ping' sound!

January 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I like canning at night too. When our fruit is in season, it is usually to hot during the day to can. I know your pleasure when you see your handiwork in the morning.
Mimi

January 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger JanKnitz said...

Strawberries in January????

My DH started exercising with the 8 minute a day book. He really took to it and lost a lot of weight and became a fitness nut. He continues to work out every day (though he does more challenging workouts now) and he's stayed fit and thin and healthy for 3 years now. I hope you have great results with it, too.

January 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

You're one heck of an amazing superwoman! I can imagine waiting in eager anticipation for that 'ping'! The jams look lovely :))

January 21, 2010 at 12:18 AM  
Anonymous Maia said...

Thanks for this great recipe , I shall keep it till the strawberry season. Your photo with the jars on the fence is great.

January 21, 2010 at 4:38 AM  
Anonymous Erica said...

That spread soundsincredible with the citrus flavor! I am a strawberry fan :)

January 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger pam said...

I have some strawberries in the freezer that I saved to make some jam with.

January 21, 2010 at 3:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You always make me hungry. :) Yum!

January 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

What a great sounding recipe. I like canning when I'm on my own also. Then seeing all my jars, it's always a great feeling.

Nice blog.

January 22, 2010 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger RJ Flamingo said...

This sounds so good - and looks even better! I see we used recipes from the same source. That's somehow reassuring. :-)

I hope you noticed that my grapefruit marmalade was spread on my HBin5 boule. The 4-1/4 fruit marm was spread on rolls I made from the "special" challah dough that I baked & froze. Sympatico challenges!

January 23, 2010 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

I also love late-night canning. The pinging is like music in the night! When I'm done and ready to turn off the lights, I look at my work all lined up in rows and have the urge to say, "Goodnight, jars!" Yay canning!

January 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There is something about canning that is so satisfying. It's like you're "providing" for your family in such a basic way that so many don't get to experience anymore. (wooooo....the wine has kicked in and I'm getting philosophical LOL)

Ok...so....I wonder if this can be made as a freezer jam.

January 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I do believe it's good on rice pudding. I LOVE rice pudding.

January 25, 2010 at 3:49 AM  
Blogger Alexandrine said...

can you tell me what it is : 4 c (for the strawberry=ies)??

I known TBS is table spoon , but "c" ???


Thanks !!!

January 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Alexandrine,

c = Cup

1 cup of strawberries is about 8 ounces

You need 4 cups of strawberries for this recipe which is 32 ounces which equals about 907 grams.

Michelle

January 26, 2010 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Alexandrine said...

Thanks Michelle !!

January 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Kiyi Kiyi said...

Mmmm this looks yummy! I know what you mean about seeing the jars lined up in the morning and feeling accomplished. It's one of the few jobs where you get tangible, beautiful and tasty results.

February 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home