Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.bigblackdogs.net

Sorry for inconvenience...

Big Black Dog: Making Tulip Vinegar

May 10, 2008

Making Tulip Vinegar


When I was younger I made many flavored oils and vinegars but as my life became more and more complicated priorities took over and some fun activities were eliminated. Why is that? Why do I eliminate fun from my life? As I glanced out my office window I knew rediscovering a tiny bit of too-long-forgotten fun was going to be easy and it was now in bloom.

DSCF2760-3


Making flavored vinegars is a simple process and most of the work is waiting for the vinegar flavor to "bloom"! Here are my vinegars beginning to ferment and you can see the beginnings of a hint of color and of course you can also see a big Rottweiler butt in between the jars!


tulipvinegar1-4-600




Four hours later...WOW, look at the color so far!


DSCF2773-1-600



I used sterilized quart jars, 6% white vinegar, petals of a dozen or so red and yellow tulips and time. I let the vinegar ferment in my refrigerator 4 days before straining. Any infused vinegar must be kept refrigerated and used within 3 months.

As for taste...well that is difficult to describe. It is very pleasant and somewhat sweet like a drop or 2 of honey vinegar if there is such a thing! I will use the tulip vinegar in my Almost No-knead bread and salad dressings.



DSCF2794-450





All Rights Reserved 2008 © Big Black Dog

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Cookin' Canuck said...

How pretty and what a fun idea!

March 17, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home